PhD program in English
The Scientific School «Innovative Development Management in the Era of Knowledge Economy» is chaired by Doctor of Technical Sciences, Professor, Honored Worker of Science and Technics of Ukraine Valentin A. Rach.
Professor Rach is the scientific supervisor and consultant of 4 prepared and successfully defended Doctoral Thesis and 14 PhD (Candidate's) Thesis done in 4 scientific majors.
There are 2 foreign citizens among Doctors of Philosophy (Candidates of Science). Nowadays in the Scientific School there are two international PhD degree seeking applicants. Besides there are four Doctor of Sciences and three Doctor of Philosophy degree seeking applicants in our school who Ukrainian citizens are.
Scientists of our School have been conducting research and scientific activity since 1993 on the basis of the authentic learning methodology and own scientific research results in such fields as Project and Program Management, Enterprise Economics and Economic Security, State Governance, etc.
General program characteristics
FQ EHEA – third cycle, 8 level
Program duration and volume
Four calendar years; Educational component is 60 ECTS credits
Project and Program Management
By semesters: two semesters are for educational activity, six semesters are for scientific and research activity
Master’s Degree in Management/Project Management, research proposal, list of publications
Applied research (study) aimed at solving the existing practical and scientific problem/task
Program completion result
After the successful completion of the program and dissertation defense, the degree seeking applicant gets the «KROK» University Doctor of Philosophy certificate, the quality and acknowledgement of which is proved by the name and recognition of the School in the scientific community.
The Doctoral program is designed to provide most advanced and specialized skills and techniques required for solving innovatively critical problems in Management, focusing on Project and Program Management, to make significant contribution to this field extending and redefining existing practical and scientific knowledge, as well as to share new knowledge among scientific and practical communities. Occupying such skills and techniques gives opportunity to get advanced positions in management, project and program management; consulting; academic teaching; research and development activities.
The program encourages a system-holistic approach based on the special authorized models, methods and techniques created in the Scientific School and practically approbated to solve complex practical problems and conduct theoretically grounded researches. Students will work in classes with their professors and supervisors to discuss findings as a result of their extensive self-working on academic courses and research topics. Other collaborative opportunities are available such as special seminars, colloquiums, conferences, round tables, and dispute sessions.
The program proposes an option to select the research topic and definite range of courses to satisfy unique academic and research interests, as well as to gain research experience by participating in the Scientific School’s activities, research and educational projects and programs.
Program training principles
- Educational component is fully based on research results and methodology of the Scientific School.
- The program doesn’t presuppose to teach you, but you are studying what is necessary for solving the scientific and practical problems, competencies development and career growth.
Fields of the program competences
- Innovations: ability to discover innovative solutions as a response to critical challenges and problems in practice or science; to manage implementation of innovative ideas using project approach
- Research and development: ability to initiate, design and conduct researches aimed at discovering new theoretically grounded significant scientific knowledge; to provide its implementation to solve complex problems of enterprises/organizations
- Management: ability to initiate, plan, monitor and control, assess scientific and research projects, educational projects, as well as provide their fundraising
- Information: ability to collect required data, to classify and analyze it using modern information technologies
- Communication: ability to share (disseminate) and cumulate new scientific knowledge in academic or professional publications and conferences, to collaborate with academic and scientific community
- Teaching: ability to teach scientific knowledge, encourage other people to study and develop, implement mentor and moderator activity
Formal results of the scientific component:
- Scientific knowledge, which develops and deepens the existing methodological base of Project and Program Management, which is also characterized by novelty at the following levels: «at first», «has been improved», «received further development», which solves urgent scientific and practical tasks in Project Management.
- Completed and duly executed Thesis submitted for defense.
- Publications in professional collections of scientific papers (scientific journals) in Ukraine (at least three) and in collections of scientific papers indexed in international scientometric databases (at least one).
- Participation in professional domestic and international conferences (at least six).
- Internship and / or participation in grant projects
- Pedagogical experience of scientific knowledge teaching, including the use of own scientific results (development of original curriculum and appropriate teaching materials).
Program lasts for 4 years, maximum of six years to complete.
First year is aimed to implement Educational part of a Program which covers 60 credits (1 credit is 30 academic hours) and gain special competences of a researcher in the field of Management, focusing on PM. It will provide gaining knowledge at the most advanced frontier PM and at the interface between related fields.
During further three years student must conduct a research and defend the dissertation in one of the Special Boards over the Ukraine Accredited by Ministry of Education and Sciences.
When implementing Educational and Research parts of Program students must demonstrate substantial authority, innovation, autonomy, scholarly and professional integrity, sustained commitment to the development of new ideas or processes at the forefront of work or study contexts including research.
Curriculum content (academic courses):
A.I. General competences:
- Philosophy of science and theory of cognition;
- Methodology of scientific researches.
A.II. Universal competences of a researcher:
- Interactions in the scientific community (Researcher’s profile, Presentation of the scientific results, Research projects management, Knowledge management and intellectual property, Publication of scientific results and academic writing);
- Pedagogical art of the scientists.
A.III. Foreign Language (Russian/Ukrainian)
A.IV. Competences in the field:
- History of management and project management;
- Methodology to organize activity of a Doctor of Philosophy (Thesaurus of a research; Information technologies in research work; Measurements, modelling and analyses in management).
A.V. Additional competences related to the direction of the student’s research (selective courses):
- Trinity methodology of the project management
- Soft (agile) project management
- Risks and uncertainty in project management
- Value-oriented building and management of the project team
- Interactions in project management
- National features of the project management
- System approach in the project management
- Modelling in the project management
- Program and portfolio management in organizations
- Project management and Economic security of organizations
- Project oriented innovative enterprises management
Admission documents for foreign applicants
- Invitation for study (original) - will be sent by «KROK» University
- Notarized passport translation into Ukrainian (2 copies)
- High school certificate (with marks/grades) translated into Ukrainian (original and copy)
- Medical Certificate, HIV test
- An open-end return ticket
- 12 photos 3,5x4,5 cm
* Document package must be handed in person by an applicant
Special admission requirements:
- Previous background: Master’s degree in Management/Project Management.
- Recommendations: two written confidential recommendations from those persons who can ensure the applicant’s abilities related to PhD candidate, research interests.
- Research proposal: 5-10-page proposal reflecting direction and main current idea of the future research to conduct and defend.
- List of publications.
- Entrance exams: successful review of admission documentation provides further entrance exams on Management, Project Management and English as a language of training. Mastering English language is preferable on the level B2, but not lower than B1 (according to Common European Framework of Reference).
During the year.