Mediation: Training and Society Transformation / MEDIATS
Capacity-building projects in the field of higher education support the modernization, accessibility and internationalization of higher education in Partner Countries. These projects build on the success of the Alfa, Edu-link and Tempus programs.
The projects aim to encourage cooperation between the EU and Partner Countries and support eligible Partner Countries in addressing challenges in the management and governance of their higher education institutions. This includes improving the quality of higher education, developing new and innovative education programs, modernizing higher education systems through reform policies as well as fostering cooperation across different regions of the world through joint initiatives.
You will find more information following the link.
- enable Universities to be one of the key players in facilitation of the processes of mediation in Azerbaijan, Georgia and Ukraine to enhance democracy and objective problem resolution by acquiring best European practices.
Specific project objectives:
- To develop and implement Master's degree program «Mediation».
- To establish sustainable Mediation Federation.
- To promote mediation values within the society in Azerbaijan, Georgia and Ukraine.
- November 15, 2018 – November 14, 2021.
- Netherlands Business Academy, the Netherlands.
- «KROK» University, Ukraine.
- Fundacion Universitaria San Antonio, Spain,
- Turiba University, Latvia,
- «KROK» University, Ukraine,
- V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, Ukraine,
- Yuriy Fedkovych Chernivtsi National University, Ukraine,
- Khazar University, Azerbaijan,
- Ganja State University, Azerbaijan,
- Ilia State University, Georgia,
- Batumi Shota Rustaveli State University, Georgia,
- Hultgren Nachhaltigkeitsberatung UG, Germany.
- Learning of EU experience,
- Development of MDP in Mediation,
- Launch of Master Degree Program in Mediation,
- Development of the Mediation Federations,
- Quality management,
- Dissemination and sustainability,
- Project Management.
- Master Degree Program in Mediation is implemented at 7 HEIs,
- Qualified staff,
- Mediation Federation is created at each Partner country,
- Methods/ action plan of promotion of mediation values into the society of Ukraine, Georgia and Azerbaijan,
- Qualified specialists-mediators, able to resolve disputes peacefully.
The Project is co-funded by the Erasmus+ Program of the European Union. The Project web-site can be found here.
KROK results of MEDIATS project
WP 2.1. Development of MDP in Mediation
Master Degree program in Mediation and Conflict Management at «KROK» University was developed within the period December 2018 - October 2019 on the basis of learning of EU experience received during management visit of NLBA by representatives of «KROK» University in December 2018, study visits 1, 2 that took place in Breda, Netherlands in February 2020, during Skype meetings among representatives of «KROK» University and NLBA and other EU experts, organized regularly. Master Degree Program was developed mainly on the basis of NLBA program, with contributions of best practices and materials of Turiba University and UCAM. Learning and exchanging of experience between Ukrainian HEIs was also valuable. KROK representatives visited CHNU, learnt and used their experience - Ivan Balykin, member of the Working Group MEDIATS project of «KROK» University made a working visit to CHNU on May 29, 2019. «KROK» University used developments of Karazin University in the project TRADIR. Program at «KROK» University was developed by experts of Law, Psychology, Management departments and KROK Business School. Recognized experts in Mediation, trained in the frameworks of other EU projects in Mediation also actively contributed to the program development. Therefore the program of «KROK» University is a combination of multi-aspect knowledge, practices and experience of EU and non-EU experts in Mediation. After development, MDP in Mediation was assessed by Dutch experts, recommendations were provided. The Program was launched in December 2019. It is noteworthy to mention that the Program was updated and improved after the Training 1, Training 2 – new teaching methods, informational materials were introduced. «KROK» University prepared the documentation and the report indicating their readiness to implement the program.
The Master Degree in Mediation and Conflict Management is intended to meet the need of the society and business community in the qualitative training of professionals in mediation and conflict management. Professionals in mediation are to provide services in the areas of civil, commercial, economic, family law and business, in the field of intellectual property, land and environmental disputes and to train researchers in this area.
Philosophy of the program:
The Master Program in Mediation and Conflict Management is based on three basic postulates:
- Mediation and conflict management is a construct that mediator will study and solve applying a peaceful means without bringing the case to a court trial. The main purpose of mediation is to reach an agreement on all issues by implementing a win-win strategy for the stakeholders;
- Mediation and management of conflicts are strongly rooted in the development of the ability of individuals to purposeful communication, assessment of situations, reflection of both facts and feelings, as well as adaptation of style to the realities of this conflict situation;
- The ability of the mediator to resolve the conflict and the transition to a common solution is a skill that enhances personal, family, organizational and social benefit;
- A mediator is an emotionally safe container with a high stage of development of consciousness that is able to demonstrate the lack of emotional involvement while working with all parties of conflict.
- Ability to prevent and solve conflicts, manage them by identifying risk factors that cause and preserve conflict situations;
- Ability to develop strategies and apply mediation techniques to prevent and manage conflict situations in a variety of environments, including in organizations, communities and families;
- Ability to develop strategies and apply mediation methods to prevent and manage conflict situations in commercial and business conditions;
- Ability to use appropriate methods and procedures for mediation and intervention research;
- Understanding the different areas of mediation (community, school, family, intercultural, work, criminal, medical, commercial, business, international, environmental and online, among other things) and their specific characteristics (type of conflict, access to information and access to mediation, requirements and conditions of work, legal framework, subjects, etc;
- Ability to identify new contexts, open up new markets and disseminate information about mediation to potential users;
- Ability to develop research, use mediation research methods, prepare projects and protocols, create new concepts and develop innovative mediation methods;
- Ability to communicate and communicate knowledge about mediation in a wider society;
- Ability to promote mediation and to prove the value of the mediation process to all stakeholders;
- Ability to plan and manage the mediation process;
- Ability to promote group dialogue, decision-making and negotiation.
WP 2.2. Organization of staff training
The participants of the EU-funded Erasmus+ project MEDIATS: academic staff/lecturers of Master Degree Program in Mediation of «KROK» University and KROK Business School Svitlana Stadnyk, Oleh Tryboi, Anna Zubachova, Project and Program Manager of KROK Business School Oksana Siedashova as well as Deputy Dean of Law Faculty, PhD in Law Inna Dolianovska participated in the training on mediation, the first part of which was held in Riga, Latvia on December 9-13, 2019, the second part was organized in Murcia, Spain on January 13-17, 2020.
The training included theoretical and practical activities on the following topics: Conflicts and Commitment, The Cost Benefit Analysis of a Conflict, Profile of a Negotiator, Methodical approach to transition from POV to Interests: The Pyramid, Separate on Facts and Emotions: «The Pirouette», Broaden Inventory, Reframing, Stop Methodology, technique of Meaningful feedback, Work with Coil and Uncoil, Stop Sign Technique, MM and patterns, Spatial Game Situational mediation adaptation of style per situational indication. The training was prepared according to methodology and materials of Basic Training of NLBA, included a lot of group activities and practicing skills and techniques, watching and discussing movies. The visit to the parliament was made, during which the participants learnt how mediation works in Latvia. The group of trainers represented all participating EU HEIs: Jan van Zwieten, Gea van Klompenburg, Marjon Kuipers were trainers from Netherlands Business Academy, Dana Rone, trainer from Turiba University and Fransesco de Angelis represented University San Antonio. Examination of the participants was made. After the training participants received the certificates.
It is noteworthy to mention, that the training for teachers provided more added value then it was described in the detailed description – as the participants went through the Basic Course in Mediation that provides the basic knowledge and skills for being the mediator. Moreover the participants were certified according to Dutch assessment scale:
- International Certified Master Mediation with distinction train-the-trainer - The Mediator has the ability to train other mediators at the level of trainer in mediation.
- International Certified Mediator - Fully qualified mediator; the mediator is able to perform mediations at the international basis standard. In addition, the mediator is able to instruct people on the basic skills of mediation.
- International Counsellor of Mediation - The counsellor has good skills and knowledge on mediation. He or she is qualified to instruct professors and teachers how to adapt their topic to the needs of a training for mediators.
- International Ambassador of Mediation - The ambassador has enough knowledge about mediation to inform others about the topic. The ambassador can explain the essence of mediation and motivate people for the subject.
- Certificate of attendance - The person attended the basic course but did not take part in the assessment to proof the knowledge and skills to be successful in contributing in dissemination or failed this assessment.
Evaluation reports were filled in by all participants, the general evaluation report was prepared.
WP 2.4. Preparation of premises
The special room at the University was allocated for the classes of the MDP in Mediation. In summer 2019 it was repaired into modern style, furnished at the cost of the University. The class is envisaged for 25 students.
WP 2.5. Development of reports
«KROK» University filled in the reports, required in the process of the project implementation.
- October 2019 - the report aimed to get the information on different aspects on the program development. It was organized by owner of WP2, the reports of each partner uploaded to Google Drive, general report was prepared by the WP owner, uploaded on google drive.
- November 2019 – Quality Report, organized by Quality Manager to check correspondence with indicators of LFM. The report was filled in by all partners, results are uploaded on google drive.
- December 2019 - the Partners prepared and presented their updates and the status of the project implementation, including information about the program at PSCM2 in Riga, Latvia, it was prepared in the form of presentation, uploaded on google drive.
- December-January – reports prepared by Quality Manager to assess the quality of the Trainings.
- March 2020 - partners prepared reports with updates after the trainings and for information to Intermediate reports (Progress Report for EACEA) on the request of the Coordinator.
- April 2020 - owner of WP2 prepared the questionnaire for «KROK» University and CHNU to learn how the received experience is implemented into lecturing, for other partners - to check the readiness to implement Program in Mediation, what else has to be done, how the Partners use the period of quarantine, can there be difficulties in launching of the program due to coronavirus outbreak, how they are going to solve that in order to implement the tasks of the project, etc.
WP 3.1. Promotion of MDP in Mediation
«KROK» University promoted the Program via Facebook, dissemination channels of «KROK» University Alumni Association (that was developed within Tempus EANET project), within the University students and staff, through advertising channels of «KROK» University and KROK Business School. The page about the program was created on the website of KROK Business School in 3 languages – Ukrainian, English and Russian. Presentation of MDP in Mediation was made together with presentation of other programs of BSK at open days. Those who were interested in the program, filled the application form through the website of KROK Business School. As a result, 60 applications were received.
The Importance of Mediation for Society was stressed in the frameworks of advertising campaign:
The purpose of Mediation and Conflict Management is to resolve the dispute peacefully and promote mutual understanding at the social, organizational, legal and political levels.
Conflicts are an integral part of life and this is normal. To resolve and manage conflicts and disputes, an effective mechanism such as mediation was invented. Mediation arises due to the need to resolve personal, relational, structural and cultural conflicts that arise in social, business and private settings.
In recent years, there has been a significant increase in demand for mediators to resolve conflicts in the public arena, and the demand in mediation of private sector companies and organizations has been increasing recently.
Mediation as a Profession was explained:
- Qualified and trained mediators can play an important role in resolving disputes between people and organizations.
- Mediators are involved in many institutions and organizations. Mediators can apply to courts, government agencies, business structures, public organizations, as well as in such areas as education, health, labor relations, project management, customer service, politics, insurance and sales, banking activities and others.
- The mediator may be in demand in any organization. Professionals in the field of organizational development, human resources, law, and criminal justice may be interested in developing skills and competencies that provide the Master's program in Mediation and Conflict Management.
WP 3.2. Piloting of MDP
KROK received more than 60 applications, 30 applicants participated in the application process, that included computer tests, interview with Admission Committee, that consisted of representatives of management and law departments, members of MEDIATS team. The following requirements were announced for candidates to apply for the program:
- Higher education: Bachelor, Master
- Emotionally mature personality
- Motivation for acquiring knowledge about alternative dispute resolution and problem-solving methods using interdisciplinary approaches
- The desire to develop in the field of mediation and related areas
- English proficiency at upper intermediate level
- The following procedure of applying was announced:
- Fill in the application form.
- Write an essay 1-2 pages on "My expectations and why mediation is important".
- Provide a complete package of documents - a passport, education documents, photos and more.
- Professional resume.
After submitting a package of documents, candidates for the program were tested and interviewed with members of the Admission Committee.
Candidates were enlisted on a competitive basis.
On the basis of the results of tests and interview 18 students were enrolled and are being trained now.
The program administrator was appointed, the lesson schedule for the 1,5 year was prepared, the organizational meetings with lecturers were held. In the conditions of coronavirus outbreak the classes are organized online via zoom.
The monitoring of quality of educational process is organized regularly, the students fill in the questionnaire on each course, consisting of 10 questions. The results show, that the level of content of students is 4,8 points out of 5.
Academic staff of the Program issued the series of publications in media, that will be reflected in details within WP 6.
The structure of the program:
1 year of study generates general, professional and practical knowledge, skills and competences.
- The mediator is like a profession
- Psychology of development, conflicts and their solution
- Communication, negotiation and emotional competence
- Coaching and Facilitation
2 years of training - specialized training and work on the graduation project. Students choose a specialization and perform a diploma thesis.
In the frameworks of training the internship in the Netherlands, Spain or Latvia is envisaged.
Mediation in various spheres of activity
- Judicial Mediation
- Mediation in Civil Disputes
- International Commercial Arbitration
- Mediation in labor disputes
- Mediation in family matters
- Mediation in the Sphere of Intellectual Property
- Business Mediation
- Mediation in environmental disputes or in environmental use
- Mediation in commercial disputes
- Mediation in non-governmental organizations
INSTRUCTORS of the Program (5 of them underwent trainings, organized within the project):
- Oksana Siedashova
- Svitlana Stadnyk
- Anna Zubachova
- Angela Krichina
- Oksana Demchenko
- Halyna Sasyn
- Oleh Tryboi
- Anastasiіa Shtaneva
- Inna Dolіanovska
During the project implementation the following number of intakes was implemented, that proves the sustainability of the program implementation:
KROK – 4 intakes with 48 students and 26 alumni
WP 3.3. Students Internships
2-week internships were organized for students of mediation programs. The students were equipped with more theoretical information, they did a lot of practical activities under the guidance of the experienced trainers. After completion of the internships, the students received the certificates.
5-27 October 2021, students of the mediation programs took part in a two-week internship at the UCAM Catholic University of Murcia.
The internship included training with practical cases. But the "highlight" was the mediation simulations conducted in specialized classrooms, which look as if it is the office of a professional mediator!
The students have taken such courses as: "Corporate diplomacy, strategy and tools of mediation", "Criminal mediation", "Negotiation technologies", "Commercial law and ADR", "International mediation", "Family mediation" and even tried themselves in virtual reality during the lecture "Simulation experience in virtual reality ”and this is only part of the material that has been studied!
Every day, the group had the opportunity to communicate with professors of management and law from UCAM, as well as with practising mediators from Madrid, Murcia or even the United Kingdom.
1-14 November 2021 internship for students from MEDIATS Partner countries was organized at Netherlands Business Academy, in Dordrecht, the Netherlands. After the completion of the 2-week course the participants received Certificates.
Throughout the program, the trainers emphasized that the main skill of a mediator is a neutral position and not imposing one's point of view on the parties. Also, trainers who are practicing mediators revealed the main secrets of mediation.
The participants from Ukraine, Azerbaijan and Georgia had a great experience and understanding that mediation has become a part of their lives, because it is more about conflict resolution, it is about the quality of communication and the climate in society.
- Number of students form KROK who underwent internship at UCAM: 7
- Number of students form KROK who underwent internship at NLBA: 8
WP 3.4. Evaluation, reports
WP 4.1. Development of Mediation Federation
1. Non-governmental association « Mediation Federation of Ukraine » (NGA «MFU»)
KROK, as private HEI, registers non-governmental association « Mediation Federation of Ukraine » (NGA «MFU»), and other Ukrainian HEIs join it by signing memorandums of cooperation.
The team of Ukrainian HEIs are adjusting the Statute of the Federation.
By clicking you will find the names of the articles of the Statute, with the detailed description to some of them.
2. The International Mediation Center (IMC) began its work in October 2020. The prerequisite for the creation of the center was the experience of the KROK Business School team participating in the EU international project Erasmus + MEDIATS, which is designed to help educational institutions become key players in facilitating mediation processes in Azerbaijan, Georgia and Ukraine to strengthen democracy and objectively solve problems by acquiring the best European practices
Thanks to its participation in the project, the KROK Business School launched a master's program "Mediation and Conflict Management" and began its implementation, established partnerships with organizations developing mediation in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Belarus, organized online conferences and other events to develop a culture of mediation in Ukraine.
The aim of the International Mediation Center is:
- development of mediation as a type of activity for solving problems in various fields, such as commercial, labor mediation using non-violent communication,
- exchange of experience with international partners, conducting research in mediation,
- provision of training and certification services for the training of professional mediators;
- maintaining a register of mediators;
KROK Business School invites partners to cooperate for joint research, creation of promising projects involving the popularization and development of mediation, the formation of a culture of dialogue, the training of qualified mediators for different countries and tasks.
3.KROK is the member of International Mediation Register.
IRM-register is the international platform for mediators. The register sets a standard for master education and also lists the several levels of mediators. Therefore the register is the international standard to mediation that makes it possible for mediators to be recognized at their own level. The purpose of the IRM is to have an international standard that matches the international development of professionalization of the education.
The board is a representation of the international mediation community.
- Chairman is Prof. dr.h.c. Jan van Zwieten RI,RA,RO,IRM
- Vice-chairman is Adj. Prof. Frank Laney, J.D
- Prof. María Méndez Rocasolano PhD, lecturer of UCAM
- Adi Gavrila PhD
- Elena Koltsaki PhD., MSc, LLM, MBA
MEDIATS partners and also Karaganda Buketov University (Kazakhstan), Fan S Noli University , Universiteti LUARASI (Albania), West Ukrainian National University (Ukraine) joined IRM as Participating universities. IRM is open for cooperation to all types of organizations working with mediation and also for the individual mediators.
The last ten years mediation has proven its effectiveness in many countries. The popularity increased over the years in many countries. It started in the United States and the United Kingdom, but soon found its way to the rest of Europe, and now all over the world. But the increasing number of mediators all around the world makes it more difficult to recognize the level and the quality of the mediator. So with the growth of the profession also the topic of more standardized education and qualification became important.
As for the education the professionalization means that more and more the universities take over in regular bachelor and master programs. For many years to become a mediator it was enough to just follow a short course in addition to any bachelor or master. But now we see that it is needed to do much more.
The IRM is the international register where people with a master degree in mediation can register. This is the highest level of certification and will give you the right to add “IRM” (international registered master in mediation) to your name . Also the register hosts all other levels of mediators.
The register is an independent body with a board of international top mediators.
Accreditation of mediators and universities
The register accredits both mediators and universities. The assessments in all countries are conducted by a local representative body that will work in cooperation with the universities. Also there will be cooperation with the local associations for mediation. Mediators and universities can use the enrollment form from this website.
The mediator who successfully finished a master program and passed the assessment is allowed to enroll to the highest level of the register. All other mediators can also subscribe and will be enlisted according to their level. There are four levels:
- International Registered Master in Mediation (Master title and passed the assessment)
- International Certified Mediator (basic course and passed the assessment)
- International Counselor in Mediation (basic course and not passed the assessment at the highest level)
- International Ambassador in Mediation (basic course without assessment)
By being in the IRM register consumers will be able to locate you and have a clear understanding of your level of competence.
Rules & Regulations
To maintain a high standard for all IRM Mediators the following rules & regulations apply.